The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark The Legal Examiner Mark search twitter facebook feed linkedin instagram google-plus avvo phone envelope checkmark mail-reply spinner error close
Skip to main content

Spin Master, in conjunction with the CPSC, is recalling about 4.2 million Aqua Dots because children have become unconscious and hospitalized after swallowing the beads.

The coating on the beads that causes the beads to stick to each other when water is added contains a chemical that can turn toxic when many are ingested. Children who swallow the beads can become comatose, develop respiratory depression, or have seizures.

So far two incidents have been reported to the CPSC. Two children who swallowed the Aqua Dots became dizzy and began vomiting and then fell into a comatose state. Both children, one of whom was only 20 months old, had to be hospitalized.

Aqua Dots are beads that are in a craft kit that are shaped to create multi-dimensional designs. When the beads are sprayed with water they fuse together to make the design permanent. All models of the product are being recalled; the kits include accessories such as a drying fan, applicator pen, design templates and the spray bottle.

The Aqua Dots were available in stores across the country from April 2007 to November 2007 and were manufactured in China.

For more information on this subject, please refer to our section on Defective and Dangerous Products.

Comments are closed.

Of Interest